Monday, December 5, 2011

Hierarchy Project



"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."- Amendment 10

The message that I wanted to convey across all three parts of this project was that the individual states are not united. I feel that with the number of people Although the amendment says the individual States are allowed to decide matters by themselves, the vast number of people in each state prohibits decisions from being made. In the first composition (major scale shift) I made 'not' be the largest word and broke it into pieces to enhance the feeling of not being united. The rest of the wording in the amendment is small and also broken up into the negative space, almost allowing them to fade away. The second composition (minor scale shift) I took the amendment and repeated it, into the form of the 'x' symbol. The x shape is not connected, framing the message in the middle. The third piece (image) I used the amendment to literally frame the image.

In my opinion the second piece is the most successful. There are a number of levels of hierarchy that work, drawing you farther into the piece. The requirement of small scale shift forced me to think outside the box to get the message across. With the other two compositions I felt like I had so many options, I became overwhelmed and just settled for something.

I chose black, yellow, and white as my colour palette because I felt like this is a serious topic. The black allowed me to play with the varying shades of gray, adjusting the feel of each composition. The yellow provided me with a very high contrast colour that could stand out well on black or gray.

No comments:

Post a Comment