Friday, October 28, 2011

"You shouldn't be a prisoner of your own ideas." -Sol LeWitt



















A few weeks ago we went to Mass MoCA to see the the Sol Lewitt exhibit. During first readings about the artist, I was intrigued but a little skeptical because I've never been a big fan of abstract contemporary art. Not to say that I don't have an appreciation for them, rather I'm a bit puzzled by the canvases that are painted a solid colour, sold for a couple hundred thousand, and titled something like "Marching Band in Communist Russia".

I suppose my issue with this sort of art was rooted in the fact that I always interpreted the 'art' as the finished product, rather that the process itself. Because of this, LeWitt's work was fascinating and extremely eye-opening to me. He allowed the concept and process to be the art, letting the end product of this process be whatever it would be.

It may seem like a ridiculous comparison, but for me, looking at LeWitt's work was equivalent to learning how to cook. Before I could cook I always appreciated a good meal; how it tasted, how it looked. But until I learned to cook, I never understood the art and finesse required in the actual process as well. Knowing all the steps in the recipe gives you a whole other level of awareness and appreciation for the final dish. 

I also found it really interesting that LeWitt took the tangibility out of his work. Best said in his own words, he enjoyed making art for the public to view. 
"I believe that the artist’s involvement in the capitalist structure is disadvantageous to the artist and forces him to produce objects in order to live."          
   -Sol LeWitt






No comments:

Post a Comment