Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Grid Project

This was a two part project. The objective of it was to portray a human emotion through colour and type in a regimented grid (16 columns x 20rows of 1" squares). The emotion I chose to portray was serenity, because it's such a powerful emotion. 

Serenity is such an overwhelming feeling, it starts welling up in me, and slowly expands and changes until I'm completely worry free and healed. This emotion absolutely needed to be represented in a progressive gradient, shifting from one colour to the next without any jolting. It is peaceful. 

Part 1
Yellow, green, and blue were the colours I chose to represent this. Deep blues bordering on purple start off the progression, and slowly change to royal and aquas. As the colours progress up the grid, they get lighter, mimicking the feeling I get. The glowing yellows on the border of the white negative space show how I feel when I'm completely immersed in serenity. It feels as though I can fly. 


Part 2

My poem read:

It wells up inside of me;
that unmistakeable feeling. 
A sense that fills your soul.
All that was once wrong is now healing.

For this part, I wanted to keep it along the same design lines as part 1. However, I don't think I accomplished what I had in mind. The reason for this… Indecisiveness. I never decided whether I wanted the poem to be legible or not, and this is really evident in my work. I chose a serif font because serenity is not a cut and dry feeling, which to me is what a sans serif would show.

The larger I made the words, the more chaotic the piece became. The complete opposite of the emotion. The smaller the type, the more underwhelming and ineffectual it felt. 

After the crit in class, it was discussed that I can play with the legibility of the poem through scale, and that will hopefully clarify the message.

No comments:

Post a Comment